db-jdo-dev mailing list archives

From Michelle Caisse <Michelle.Cai...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: Minutes: JDO TCK Conference Call Friday, Sep 23, 9 am PDT
Date Mon, 03 Oct 2005 16:34:39 GMT
Hi, Karan,

Karan Malhi wrote:

>>Multiple maven goals in trunk: clean, build tck20; clean, build ri11;
>>clean, build ri20. But the build target for tck20 also (re)installs schema.
>>Would like to have a maven goal that builds dependencies as well. AI Karan
>>will look into build dependencies in sister projects. Only shows up when
>>working on two projects at once, and making a change in one project affects
>>a sister project.
>>

>tck20.build goal provides this functionality. Only thing is that it installs
>a schema each time you try to build it, i suggest we can provide a switch
>like maven -DinstallSchema=true, false could be the default. When i look at
>this problem, it seems that we are trying to duplicate the functionality we
>have in the trunk maven.xml into sub-projects.
>Let me know what you think on this?

If we want the default to be false, we may as well just redefine the
build goal so it does NOT install the schema, and use the maven goal
installSchema when we do want to install:
  maven installSchema build

However, I believe the default for build must be to install the schema
because build also runs the tck.  The scenario for  build is that you
are starting clean and need to do everything.  Otherwise you would do
"maven runtck.jdori", which would recompile if necessary, re-enhance if
necessary, and run the tests.

This issue came up when Matthew wanted a goal that simply recompiled all
of the tck20 dependent projects and create jar files where needed.
Maybe the solution is to create a goal in trunk/maven.xml called
jdo20.default which executes the default goals in each project.  This
will just compile and create a jar file in each project. The only
difference you would see for the dependent projects is that javadoc
would not be generated for api20. You would then have to run "maven
<options> runtck.jdori" in tck20 if you are debugging and want to run
one or more tests. But all the dependencies would have been build.

>Maven console issue (Karan) Patch was sent around for review. The patch
>

>>changes the jelly:console goal, which is a problem. Probably better to
>>create a new jdo:console goal taking code from the jelly:console goal. Karan
>>will resubmit the patch and Michelle will test it out.
>>

>I have asked Brett Porter to make a change in the maven console plugin. The
>issue has been fixed and the plugin has been updated in the svn repository
>of the maven console plugin project. Soon it should be on ibiblio from where
>we can install using download:plugin

This is great!  Please remind me, will we need to make any other changes
to tck20 for this to work, and do I still have an action item here?

>6. Sequence tests status (Craig, Karan) Probably going to drop sequence
>

>>factory from the specification. Testing of the other sequence assertions in
>>in progress.
>>

>[Sep 2 2005]: We think it's a good idea to put a default maven goal into
>

>>jdo/trunk that tells users what the structure is of the project. Add a maven
>>goal that builds the JDO 2 stuff or the JDO 1 stuff. Is there a way to
>>define a maven multi-project with a specific list of projects. Point users
>>to the README and other important items. AI: Michelle file a JIRA issue.
>>[Michael B. did some of this. What do we still need?]
>>

>I think Michael has already put in what was required. Of course, this help
>can keep changing as the project evolves, but in my opinion, this issue is
>resolved.
>
>[Sep 2 2005]: Issue with logging: more and more directories with timestamp.
>

>>Karan will see if it makes sense to automate the removal of old log
>>directories. [Is this issue dead?]
>>

>I dont think we need a separate goal/switch to remove log folders, rm -rf
>should take care of it. I think this issue is resolved.

Okay, I will remove from the list for the next meeting.

>[Sep 2 2005]: The project needs a high level overview that tells new people
>

>>what's current, what's the plan in more detail.
>>

>Michelle has been updating the wiki with some really nice information.
>[Are we more or less satisfied with what we have now?]
>Definitely.

Cool!  Thanks for your responses.

-- Michelle