db-jdo-dev mailing list archives

From Craig Russell <Craig.Russ...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: New subpackages for TCK query tests
Date Wed, 07 Sep 2005 19:24:22 GMT
Hi Michael,

On Sep 7, 2005, at 6:38 AM, Michael Bouschen wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Michael W. and I started looking into JDO assertions testing JDO
> query features that have been added with JDO2. None of them are
> implemented yet, so we will have to add a couple of new query test
> classes.

It might be more than a few, like a dozen or so?

> Today the query package org.apache.jdo.tck.query includes 65 test
> classes and we would need to add a couple of more to test the JDO2
> query features. We think this is too much for one package, so we
> propose adding some subpackages to org.apache.jdo.tck.query:
> - api testing the Query API methods

include newQuery, which are really PersistenceManager API but
probably belong here.

> - result testing query result handling

Including resultClass tests.

> - sql testing SQL queries executed from a Query instance

Good.

> - delete testing delete queries

This might not deserve another package. There are not that many tests
here. So I'd guess that delete could go into the api package.

> Some of the existing test cases need to be refactored into the api
> package. Should we keep the remaining tests in
> org.apache.jdo.tck.query or should we add another package (e.g.
> language) for these?

There's already an operators package. Maybe we should add a jdoql
package with the language features like operators in subpackages? How
many language features have so many tests that it makes sense to
split out? Grouping maybe. Aggregates maybe.

What about String queries? My inclination would be to test String
queries alongside language features, so the test case would have each
feature tested three ways: setFilter, String query, and metadata
query. That might make more sense than having the same feature appear
in three different tests, especially since if the language feature is
broken, it's broken three ways in one test and not broken in three
tests.

Craig

> Regards Michael
> --
> Michael Bouschen        Tech@Spree Engineering GmbH
> mailto:mbo.tech@spree.de    http://www.tech.spree.de/
> Tel.:++49/30/235 520-33        Buelowstr. 66
> Fax.:++49/30/2175 2012        D-10783 Berlin

Craig Russell
408 276-5638 mailto:Craig.Russell@sun.com
P.S. A good JDO? O, Gasp!