db-jdo-dev mailing list archives

From Andy Jefferson <a...@jpox.org>
Subject Re: JDO2 §12.7.2: fetch-depth only for "recursive fetch group references"?
Date Mon, 26 Sep 2005 15:11:54 GMT
Hi Michael,

> I read the spec that a self-referencing relationship (meaning the field
> type is the same class that declares the field) is a good use case for
> the fetch-depth attribute. But I think the use of fetch-depth is not
> restricted to self-referencing relationships. Am I wrong here?

I agree. I interpret fetch-depth as being for "recursive references" (as the
spec says). This encompasses
1. self-referencing (A->A->A->... )
2. circular-referencing (e.g A->B->C->A->B->C->.....)

This is what JPOX aims to support.
The examples in the JDO2 spec are, incidentally, only of the self-referencing
type.

--
Andy