db-jdo-dev mailing list archives

From "Karan Malhi" <Ka...@learnquest.com>
Subject RE: connection pool settings for c3p0
Date Mon, 19 Sep 2005 12:35:38 GMT
Hi Michael,

I have noticed one thing in the tests. The BatchTestRunner creates a new object for each TestCase
and then calls the test() method. Since each one of them inherits the pmf instance variable,
dont you think that with each test we are trying to get a new pmf and that initiates creation
of a new pool of connections. This might be the reason connection pooling is slower than running
tests without connection pooling. That 10% of overhead when we run tests with connection pooling,
is in my opinion the time taken to create that pool (thats what it looks like when i looked
at the JPOX RDBMS log earlier).

I might be wrong, because i havent had the time to understand the JDO_Test class fully. If
I am wrong, then I think it might be worth a try to increase the connection pool size a little
bit, just to see if it speeds up the tests.

I will try it and let you know.

Thanks for the info on c3p0 properties.

Karan Singh
Senior Technical Consultant