db-jdo-dev mailing list archives

From "Matthew T. Adams" <matthew.ad...@xcalia.com>
Subject Explicit SingleFieldIdentity in metadata?
Date Fri, 23 Sep 2005 22:31:26 GMT
Currently, section 18.6 of the JDO 2.0 PFD states that if for a class
identity-type="application", there is no objectid-class attribute, and there
is only one primary key field for that class, then the JDO implementation is
to use a SingleFieldIdentity subclass as the object id class.  I don't see
why users couldn't use a SingleFieldIdentity subclass of their choice.  As
such, I would also like for people to be able to use the names of the
SingleFieldIdentity subclasses as the value of the objectid-class attribute.
The implementation may or may not support certain combinations of type
conversions (object id class is StringIdentity, but the PC class uses an id
field of type int); widening combinations should be supported (object id
class LongIdentity with the PC class id field of type short, etc).

This is not a huge deal, but I don't see why we shouldn't support metadata
declarations of the form

<class name="Foo" identity-type="application"
objectid-class="javax.jdo.identity.StringIdentity">...

It's still spec-compliant, as "javax.jdo.identity.StringIdentity" is the
name of a valid object id class.

--matthew

Matthew T. Adams
Corporate Technical Advisor & Senior Consultant
Mobile:  +1 253 732 1051
Phone:  +1 206 331 3833
Fax:  +1 815 331 0952
matthew.adams@xcalia.com
P.O. Box 24163
Federal Way, WA  98093
www.xcalia.com <http://www.xcalia.com/>

Xcalia makes implementing SOA easy with agile business intermediation
software that combines heterogeneous data with services to easily develop
and deploy transactional composite applications.  Enterprises can quickly
respond to changing business requirements and dramatically reduce the costs
of data access and service integration.