db-jdo-dev mailing list archives

From Craig Russell <Craig.Russ...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: embedded SimpleInterface, Object
Date Thu, 04 Aug 2005 19:04:10 GMT
Hi Michelle,

I think that embedding Object and SimpleInterface isn't really a
requirement. I'll look at the spec again, but I think that the two
strategies that are really useful and should be the focus of our
testing are:

serializing the object into a blob column
referring via foreign key column to the primary table of the
implementing class(es).

These are the common use cases, and so I'd suggest dropping the
embedding-column-by-column strategy from the FieldsOfSimpleObject and
FieldsOfSimpleInterface.

Does anyone think that the spec requires this strategy and it's
common enough that we need TCK tests?

Craig

On Aug 4, 2005, at 11:49 AM, Michelle Caisse wrote:

> Hi Craig,
>
> I've mapped FieldsOfSimpleInterface and FieldsOfSimpleObject as we
> discussed previously on the alias (Additional fields for
> FieldsOfSimpleInterface, FieldsOfSimpleClass, FieldsOfObject).  I
> get an error:
>
> test
> (org.apache.jdo.tck.models.fieldtypes.TestFieldsOfSimpleInterface)
> org.jpox.metadata.InvalidMetaDataException: Field
> "org.apache.jdo.tck.pc.fieldtypes.FieldsOfSimpleInterface.SimpleInterf
> ace1" is of type "org.apache.jdo.tck.pc.fieldtypes.SimpleInterface"
> yet has been specified as embedded. JPOX doesnt support embedding
> of this type. Your embedded type must be PersistenceCapable.
>
> Same with Object.
>
> Should I check in the changes or hold off for now?
>
> -- Michelle

Craig Russell
408 276-5638 mailto:Craig.Russell@sun.com
P.S. A good JDO? O, Gasp!