db-jdo-dev mailing list archives

From Craig Russell <Craig.Russ...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: Uploading a bundle to ibiblio
Date Fri, 05 Aug 2005 20:54:15 GMT
Hi Trygve,

On Aug 5, 2005, at 11:50 AM, Trygve Laugstøl wrote:

> On Fri, Aug 05, 2005 at 11:37:25AM -0700, Craig Russell wrote:
>
>>    Hi Brian,
>>    How about the artifact apache-jdo-incubating, and the current
>> jar and pom
>>    scheme:
>>    jars/jdo2-query-SNAPSHOT.jar
>>    jars/jdo2-query-20050805.150654.jar
>>    poms/jdo2-query-SNAPSHOT.pom
>>    poms/jdo2-query-20050805.150654.pom
>>    And so forth for the 10 projects. It seems that we want to keep
>> the
>>    current sub-project names (we finally like them I think) and if
>> we need to
>>    add "incubating" to the name, fine by me.
>>    The sub-projects already include the jdo1 or jdo2 as part of
>> the name,
>>    which is important. And having the version number SNAPSHOT is
>> good.
>>    Craig
>>

> I was wondering why you need to include the version in the artifact
> id?
> This will become a annoyance in the future with Maven 2 and the
> other tool
> that has support for transitive dependencies[1].  In Maven 2 you
> can have
> a dependency on artifact A and Maven will look at A's POM and
> figure out
> that A depends on X and Y and include those for you.

This sounds like a fine feature and I don't see the issue with JDO1
and JDO2. A project will choose which jar to build against and maven
will do the right thing.

> Now this become a issue as you can't have both JDO 1 and JDO 2 in your
> class path at the same time

This is true because of intrinsic differences between the two jars.
An application built against JDO 1 will need the JDO 1 jar files, and
won't work with JDO 2. We have implemented source compatibility but
binary compatibility turned out to be not practical. So once you
choose JDO 2, you need to depend on the JDO 2 jar and the JDO 1 jar
is worthless.

> because if A depends on "jdo1" and B depend on
> "jdo2" I will end up with both of them in my class path. If they
> both had
> the artifact id "jdo" Maven's versioning mediation will take care of
> selecting one or the other based on the current strategy (the
> strategy by
> default is to pick the version specified 'neareast' the currently
> building
> project).

I'm not sure whether this is an issue based on the discussion above.
Any project will be using either JDO 1 or JDO 2 and there's no
decision for maven to make. And all projects that share a class path
have to choose the same one.

Regards,

Craig

> [snip]