db-jdo-dev mailing list archives

From Abe White <awh...@solarmetric.com>
Subject Re: Typos in spec dtd
Date Wed, 31 Aug 2005 01:45:58 GMT
> Could you please suggest what the semantics of mapping a single field
> to multiple columns means? Are you thinking of a multi-column foreign
> key usage for references (relationships) or do you see it applying to
> primitive values as well?

Certainly multiple columns are needed for compound foreign keys.  But
being able to define multi-column mappings is also important to vendors
who allow their users to create custom mappings.  For example, one of
Kodo's custom mapping samples maps a java.awt.Point to two columns --
one for the X coordinate and one for the Y coordinate.  I don't think
the DTD should make expressing mappings like that unnecessarily
difficult.