db-jdo-dev mailing list archives

From Michael Watzek <mwa.t...@spree.de>
Subject Re: TCK logging proposal
Date Fri, 19 Aug 2005 09:41:02 GMT
Hi Michael,

> I like the proposal. I added a few comments plus a suggestion for an
> extension below.
>

>>Hi,
>>
>>during last t-conference we discussed to improve logging of TCK runs.
>>Below, you find a summary of our discussion. Please comment!
>>
>>Current state:
>>Separate log files are written by JPOX, JPOX enhancer, Derby, and TCK.
>>The locations of these log files are:
>>
>>- JPOX: "target/jpox.log".
>>- JPOX enhancer: "target/enhanced/<identity type>/jpox.log"
>>- Derby: "target/database/derby/derby.log
>>- TCK: "target/logs/<timestamp>-<database>-<identity
>>type>-<configuration>.txt"
>>
>>The current logging configuration determines that JPOX and JPOX enhancer
>>append output to log files. Derby truncates the log file for each TCK
>>configuration. In contrast, the TCK writes a new log file for each TCK
>>configuration result.
>>
>>Problem:
>>Each component writes to a different log directory. The directories are
>>not under a common root. This fact complicates the log analysis. On the
>>other hand, the TCK writes a separate log file for each configuration
>>result to directory "target/logs". Currently, there are 14 different
>>configurations. There will be approximately 22 when the inheritance
>>proposal is implemented. Thus, each TCK run will produce 22 new files in
>>directory "target/logs". Obviously, this  fact reduces facility of
>>inspection.
>

> I agree, this does not work anymore, too many log files in that directory.
>

>>Proposal:
>>The proposal is to have separate log directories for each TCK run. These
>>log directories are located under the common parent directory
>>"target/logs". The naming pattern for these directories are given by
>>timestamp format "yyyyMMdd-HHmmss". The directory contents are:
>>
>>- Separate log file for each TCK configuration result. The naming
>>pattern is: "<database>-<identity type>-<configuration>.txt".
>>- Separate JPOX log file for each TCK configuration. The naming pattern
>>is: "<database>-<identity type>-<configuration>-jpox.txt".
>

> Sounds good.
>

>>Thus, each TCK run will produce 44 files in separate log directories.
>

> Just for my understanding: a TCK run will create one directory e.g.
> target/logs/20050818-101723. This directory contains all the logs files
> from the tck run including the TCK run results and the JPOX log output.
> The JPOX enhancer logs and the database log file do not go into this
> directory, they have their own directory, correct?
Correct. See below.

> How about adding a new file showing a summary of the tck result for the
> different configurations. It would include two lines per configuration:
> - The first line shows the database, identitytype and the name of the
> configuration.
> - The second line lists the test results as we have it today at the end of
> the tck output:
> Tests run: 396,  Failures: 17,  Errors: 25, Time: 281,124 seconds.
>
> This makese it easier to compare the results of this tck run with a
> prvious run. What do you think?
This is a good idea! What about "TCK.results" to be used as a file name.
Concerning the format of the two lines per configuration, I suggest to
have the file name of a particular configuration result as the first
line, e.g.:

derby-app-alltests.txt:
     Tests run: 396,  Failures: 17,  Errors: 25, Time: 281,124 seconds.

I think, we need a final TCK output written to the console at the end of
a TCK run, e.g.:

"All configuration passed." or
"5 configurations failed. See file
'target/logs/20050818-165457/TCK.results' for details."

Regards,
Michael