db-jdo-dev mailing list archives

From Michael Bouschen <mbo.t...@spree.de>
Subject Re: Cleaning up the datastore in tearDown
Date Fri, 19 Aug 2005 05:39:39 GMT
Hi Brian,

I see your point, especially checking the datastore state afterwards is
an issue with the current way of cleaning up. The reason for doing the
cleanup in tearDown was that the test knows which instances it created,
so it knows what needs to be cleaned up. In setUp you do not know what
the previous test left behind.

Maybe we should support both: cleanup in setUp or in tearDown and let
the user decide by setting properties. I could imagine properties like
CleanupAtSetup and CleanupAtTeardown both having values yes/no and
reasonable defaults. If we go for supporting cleanup in setUp methods
addTearDownObjectId and addTearDownInstance do not make sense anymore
and should be removed.

Regards Michael

> Minor point, but I would suggest doing it in setUp() for a couple
> reasons:
>
> * You know datastore is in good state before test runs instead of after
> * You can examine datastore state afterwards to double check things
> manually
> * If things go wrong during the test, the evidence isn't erased
>
> On Aug 9, 2005, at 5:51 PM, Craig Russell wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm thinking a better way of cleaning up might be:
>>
>> Extent toBeDeleted = pm.getExtent(parameterClass, false);
>> Query toBeDelete = pm.newQuery(parameterClass, toBeDeleted);
>> toBeDelete.deletePersistentAll();
>>
>> This doesn't require that the query be executed except for the
>> purposes of calling the jdoPreDelete callback, which is not an  issue
>> in the TCK.
>>
>> Does JPOX support this? Would it help (I'm thinking of the issue
>> with CompletenessTest not cleaning up because of issues with  loading
>> the instances).
>>
>> Craig
>>
>> Craig Russell
>> 408 276-5638 mailto:Craig.Russell@sun.com