db-jdo-dev mailing list archives

From Jörg von Frantzius <joerg.von.frantz...@artnology.com>
Subject Fetch groups and EJB3
Date Mon, 08 Aug 2005 09:48:24 GMT
Hi,

there is a public discussion with low noise and interesting participants
going on over at news://news.eclipse.org/eclipse.technology.ejb-orm and
news://news.eclipse.org/eclipse.technology.jsr220-orm (account required
<http://www.eclipse.org/newsgroups/index.html> on eclipse.org), about
the concept of fetch groups and reasons for it's rejection in EJB3. The
case of my lonely battle there is both supporting an Eclipse ORM project
that also supports JDO2, and a possible inclusion of fetch groups in EJB3.

You may find some of my arguments there silly, but I thought the
discussion as such is interesting enough to bother you with this note.
Things are openly discussed there, as opposed to closed EJB3 expert
group circles that seem potentially dominated by marketing rationale
rather than technical reason.

While e.g. Mike Keith of Oracle finds fetch groups not worth the hassle,
I do think they are worth it, as they shield me as an OO programmer from
details of relational joins. Mike Keith also gives reasons why fetch
groups have been rejected in the EJB3 expert group (performance
advantages only in rare cases).

If fetch groups would make it into the EJB3 spec either in a future
version or a as an optional feature, I imagine that could give JDO2
vendors that support EJB3 a competitive advantage. It wouldn't hurt if
there were more voices saying in that forum that the more transparent
persistence in a relational store is, the better it is for a good object
oriented design. Or whatever you think is an advantage of fetch groups :)

Thanks for your attention and sorry for the intrusion,
Jörg.

Dipl.-Inf. Jörg von Frantzius  |            artnology GmbH
                               |                Milastr. 4
Tel +49 (0)30 4435 099 26      |              10437 Berlin
Fax +49 (0)30 4435 099 99      |  http://www.artnology.com