db-jdo-dev mailing list archives

From Andy Jefferson <a...@jpox.org>
Subject Re: Support java.lang.Object as FCO
Date Wed, 17 Aug 2005 17:39:03 GMT
Hi Michelle,

> It seems that jpox maps Object as serialized by default.  Where there is
> no serialized or embedded attribute on the field, we map to a FK column,
> e.g. OBJECT102 BIGINT REFERENCES SIMPLE_CLASS, giving a jpox error:

Well we interpret all types as serialized="false", but in section 18.14 of the
spec "java.lang" types (which Object is) are to be embedded="true" by
default. So we interpret this as serialising the Object into the table of the
class, into a BLOB column.

> SimpleInterface, which we map identically to Object, works fine.

Because we treat an Interface as embedded="false" by default (since it's not
specified in the list of embedded types in 18.14, so its effectively a
PersistenceCapable in that respect).

--
Andy