db-jdo-dev mailing list archives

From Niclas Hedhman <hedh...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: How to get started on JDO
Date Sun, 07 Aug 2005 04:19:22 GMT
On Thursday 04 August 2005 06:47, Craig Russell wrote:

> This is a new project to Apache and we're trying to attract new
> committers. If you don't find what you're looking for, or have any
> other comments, please let us know.

The shear speed of this project makes it somewhat harder to "catch up on" as a
aspiring contributor.

I suggest that the core team take a moment and list down these "follow-on
directions" that you can see. This might create a bit of "Ah! I can do that."
and knowing that 36 hours later someone in the core team has already grabbed
it and forging ahead.

To me it is not totally clear the scope of this project. One side says it is
about TCK development and the RI is over at jpox.org (what was the reason
again?), yet Maven support seems to be covered over here. I can think of
additional tools for Eclipse, but not entirely sure if those are valid for
this project (also unsure if they exist elsewhere);

 * Enhancer integration into Eclipse.
 * Schema generator in Eclipse.
 * Graphical mapping of value objects to existing databases.
 * Form editing of jdo directives.
 * Validation that PC classes are properly compiled and jarred.
 * Those little "badges" on file icons to indicate PC classes.

I can also imagine documentation tools, that generates graphical view of the
the valueobject <-> database relationships, as well as pure RDBMS
relationships. Would be nice if that was integrated with the Javadocs of the
same sources.

My 2 cents.

Cheers
Niclas