db-jdo-dev mailing list archives

From Craig Russell <Craig.Russ...@Sun.COM>
Subject Notes on today's checkins
Date Sat, 16 Jul 2005 03:36:34 GMT
Hi,

A few notes on the checkins that Michelle and I did today.

1. Only one person can check in, but everything we checked in today
was a collaboration among Michelle, Michael W, and me.

2. The team had decided earlier that we did not want to require a
dependency (Maven) on a JNDI implementation in order to run the TCK,
since only two of the test classes even need JNDI. But Michelle and I
didn't want to put the providerutil.jar and fscontext.jar directly
into the tck20 directory. So we added tck20/lib/ext and put the jar
files there. We intended to but forgot to update the README.txt to
discuss this.

3. We found an issue with the property in jndi.properties
java.naming.provider.url=file:. that produced a fatal exception in
the Mac version of JNDI. It appeared to be a weird error complete
with misspelling, and didn't encounter the error when we removed the
property. If other platforms encounter errors (not failures) running
the JNDI tests, we need to discuss and possibly file a Sun bug report.

4. We added a method to verify that all of the javax.jdo.option
properties set in the Properties instance were actually set in the
PMF that was created. We deliberately omitted properties
ConnectionUserName and ConnectionPassword because these properties
cannot be read by JPOX. We verify that the PMF that we bind to JNDI
is configured with the properties we want, and verify that the PMF
that we look up has the same properties. JPOX doesn't handle the case
correctly, most likely because they don't implement Referenceable (as
required by EntityManagerFactory but not by
PersistenceManagerFactory). It might be that we should add this
requirement to the specification.

5. It's not standard Apache practice to implement the @author tag. In
future, we should not include this tag.

Craig and Michelle

Here's the exception we got with the java.naming.provider.url=file:.
property set. Note the strange message "...remaining name..."

RUN GetPMFByJNDILocation.testValidGetPMF     [INFO] tck - Exception
during setUp or runtest:  <javax.jdo.JDOFatalException: Caught
NamingException trying to bindnull
     [java] NestedThrowables:
     [java] javax.naming.NoPermissionException; remaining name '"/
Users/clr/apachejdo/jdo/trunk/tck20/target/./Users/clr/apachejdo/jdo/
trunk/tck20/target/classes"'>javax.jdo.JDOFatalException: Caught
NamingException trying to bindnull
     [java]      at
org.apache.jdo.tck.api.persistencemanagerfactory.GetPMFByJNDILocation.ge
tPMF(GetPMFByJNDILocation.java:95)
     [java]      at
org.apache.jdo.tck.api.persistencemanagerfactory.AbstractGetPMF.checkGet
PMFWithValidProperties(AbstractGetPMF.java:139)
     [java]      at
org.apache.jdo.tck.api.persistencemanagerfactory.GetPMFByJNDILocation.te
stValidGetPMF(GetPMFByJNDILocation.java:75)
     [java]      at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0
(Native Method)
     [java]      at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke
(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:39)
     [java]      at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke
(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:25)
     [java]      at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:324)
     [java]      at junit.framework.TestCase.runTest(TestCase.java:154)
     [java]      at org.apache.jdo.tck.JDO_Test.runBare(JDO_Test.java:
197)
     [java]      at junit.framework.TestResult$1.protect
(TestResult.java:106)
     [java]      at junit.framework.TestResult.runProtected
(TestResult.java:124)
     [java]      at junit.framework.TestResult.run(TestResult.java:109)
     [java]      at junit.framework.TestCase.run(TestCase.java:118)
     [java]      at junit.framework.TestSuite.runTest(TestSuite.java:
208)
     [java]      at junit.framework.TestSuite.run(TestSuite.java:203)
     [java]      at junit.framework.TestSuite.runTest(TestSuite.java:
208)
     [java]      at junit.framework.TestSuite.run(TestSuite.java:203)
     [java]      at junit.textui.TestRunner.doRun(TestRunner.java:116)
     [java]      at junit.textui.TestRunner.doRun(TestRunner.java:109)
     [java]      at org.apache.jdo.tck.util.BatchTestRunner.start
(BatchTestRunner.java:128)
     [java]      at org.apache.jdo.tck.util.BatchTestRunner.main
(BatchTestRunner.java:106)
     [java] NestedThrowablesStackTrace:
     [java] javax.naming.NoPermissionException; remaining name '"/
Users/clr/apachejdo/jdo/trunk/tck20/target/./Users/clr/apachejdo/jdo/
trunk/tck20/target/classes"'
     [java]      at com.sun.jndi.fscontext.FSContext.checkCanWrite
(FSContext.java:939)
     [java]      at com.sun.jndi.fscontext.RefFSContext.setBindings
(RefFSContext.java:594)
     [java]      at com.sun.jndi.fscontext.RefFSContext.bindObject
(RefFSContext.java:338)
     [java]      at com.sun.jndi.fscontext.RefFSContext.bind
(RefFSContext.java:169)
     [java]      at com.sun.jndi.fscontext.FSContext.bind
(FSContext.java:167)
     [java]      at javax.naming.InitialContext.bind
(InitialContext.java:355)
     [java]      at
org.apache.jdo.tck.api.persistencemanagerfactory.GetPMFByJNDILocation.ge
tPMF(GetPMFByJNDILocation.java:91)
[...]

Craig Russell
408 276-5638 mailto:Craig.Russell@sun.com
P.S. A good JDO? O, Gasp!