db-jdo-dev mailing list archives

From Craig Russell <Craig.Russ...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: JDO API compability with JDK 1.3
Date Wed, 20 Jul 2005 15:04:10 GMT
Hi Michael,

You are right. We have to mention java.util.Currency in order to
support it, and those classes we need to compile under 1.4. The other
way to handle it would be to have files that only compile under 1.4
and have a callout to those programs if the runtime environment is 1.4.

I'd like to get feedback from others on this as well.

Others?

Craig

On Jul 20, 2005, at 7:12 AM, Michael Bouschen wrote:

> Hi Craig,
>
> this looks good.
>
> I have a question what kind of JDK 1.3 compatibility do we want to
> support? Your change allows to run an application against a
> api20.jar using JDK 1.3. But we still require JDK 1.4 to build the
> api20.jar, meaning to compile the javax.jdo sources. I think this
> is not an issue, but we need to describe this in the README.txt.
>
> Regards Michael
>

>> Hi Erik,
>> Can you please try this patch?
>> Thanks,
>> Craig
>> ---
>> On Jul 19, 2005, at 2:27 PM, erik@jpox.org <mailto:erik@jpox.org>
>> wrote:
>>

>>> The JDO API Head version is not JDK 1.3 compatible.
>>>
>>> Checkout the below exception. I'm not sure if I should file JIRA
>>> issues.
>>>
>>> java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: java.util.Currency
>>> at javax.jdo.spi.JDOImplHelper.class$(JDOImplHelper.java:552)
>>> at javax.jdo.spi.JDOImplHelper.<clinit>(JDOImplHelper.java:552)
>>> at javax.jdo.identity.ObjectIdentity$1.run(ObjectIdentity.java:49)
>>> at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
>>> at javax.jdo.identity.ObjectIdentity.<clinit>(ObjectIdentity.java:
>>> 45)
>>> at java.lang.Class.forName1(Native Method)
>>> at java.lang.Class.forName(Class.java:142)
>>> at org.jpox.metadata.MetaDataManager.class$(MetaDataManager.java:
>>> 1026)
>>> at
>>> org.jpox.metadata.MetaDataManager.isClassWithoutMetaData
>>> (MetaDataManager.java:1021)
>>> at
>>> org.jpox.metadata.MetaDataManager.getMetaDataForClassOrInterface
>>> (MetaDataManager.java:361)
>>> at
>>> org.jpox.metadata.MetaDataManager.getMetaDataForClass
>>> (MetaDataManager.java:324)
>>> at org.jpox.metadata.ClassMetaData.populate(ClassMetaData.java:420)
>>> at
>>> org.jpox.metadata.MetaDataManager.populateClassesInFile
>>> (MetaDataManager.java:635)
>>> at
>>> org.jpox.enhancer.conf.JDOConfigManager.parseAndRegisterFile
>>> (JDOConfigManager.java:60)
>>> at org.jpox.enhancer.GeneratorBase.readJDOConfig
>>> (GeneratorBase.java:1307)
>>> at org.jpox.enhancer.JPOXEnhancer.main(JPOXEnhancer.java:249)
>>> Exception in thread "main"
>>>

>> Craig Russell
>> jdo
>> 408 276-5638 mailto:Craig.Russell@sun.com
>> P.S. A good JDO? O, Gasp!
>>

> --
> Michael Bouschen        Tech@Spree Engineering GmbH
> mailto:mbo.tech@spree.de    http://www.tech.spree.de/
> Tel.:++49/30/235 520-33        Buelowstr. 66
> Fax.:++49/30/2175 2012        D-10783 Berlin

Craig Russell