db-jdo-dev mailing list archives

From Michael Watzek <mwa.t...@spree.de>
Subject Binding a char to PreparedStatement
Date Mon, 18 Jul 2005 16:25:26 GMT
Hi Andy, Erik,

we have a lot of derby errors "ERROR 22001: A truncation error was
encountered trying to shrink CHAR 'XXX' to length 1."

I analysed the problem writing a little Java program that uses JDBC
directly. The program inserts a row into a table having a single CHAR(1)
column. The program uses a prepared statement and binds a Java character
  to it using different methods:

1) PreparedStatement.setShort
2) PreparedStatement.setInt
3) PreparedStatement.setObject
4) PreparedStatement.setString

Note: There is no PreparedStatement.setChar. The program runs with
different Java characters:

If the Java character is greater or equal 0xA, then 1), 2), 3) fail.
If the Java character is less than 0xA and greater or equal 0x0, then
only 3) fails.

When 1) and 2) fails, then the exception message is the same as above.
3) always fails with "An attempt was made to get a data value of type
'CHAR' from a data value of type 'java.lang.Character'." (I do not
understand this message). 4) is always sucessfull.

It seems that 1) and 2) fail, because Derby stores numbers in string
representation if the database column type is CHAR, e.g 0xA => "10".

So, I wonder if JPOX uses 1) or 2) when binding a single character? This
would be an explanation for 25 error messages. Can you please check
that? I think the right method to use is 4).

Regards,
Michael