db-jdo-dev mailing list archives

From Michael Watzek <mwa.t...@spree.de>
Subject Questions about inheritance attribute "new-table"
Date Fri, 08 Jul 2005 15:20:27 GMT
Hi Craig,

I have a question about attribute "new-table" of orm element
"inheritance". The spec defines the following:

"The value “new-table” means that this class has its own table into
which by default all
of its fields are mapped. There might be a table attribute specified in
the class element. This
is the default for the topmost (least derived) class in an inheritance
hierarchy."

I'm not sure about the semantics of the table attribute in the class
element in case of "new-table":

- Does "new-table" mean that there must be a separate table that the
class is mapped to?

- Does "new-table" mean that only the declared fields are mapped to the
table that the class is mapped to?

- Does "new-table" mean that all fields are mapped to the table that the
class is mapped to?

- Does it make sence to specify "new-table" together with a
discriminator strategy? If yes, do all combinations ("class-name",
"value-map", "none") make sence?

Regards,
Michael