db-jdo-dev mailing list archives

From Andy Jefferson <a...@jpox.org>
Subject Re: Binding a char to PreparedStatement
Date Wed, 20 Jul 2005 16:57:27 GMT
> > Well in the case of a char it is, but in the case of a java double for
> > example ? It all depends on the RDBMS. Some RDBMS support DOUBLE, some
> > DECIMAL, some NUMERIC, some have other types ...
>
> This is the jdbc-type ("generic sql type"), not the sql-type we're
> talking about (there is a separate sql-type that the user can specify
> if they want to get database specific).
>
> The idea is that the user could override the jdbc-type if necessary,
> and the jdo impl would use jdbc-type plus length plus nullability to
> map to a natural sql-type that is database specific.

I'm also talking about the jdbc-type (or to be specific javax.sql.Types). So
the JDO impl should always take JDBC Types.DOUBLE when the user has a Java
double field? Many JDBC drivers *don't* provide a type mapping for
Types.DOUBLE (many don't provide support for several of the "standard" JDBC
types).

We've always encouraged our users to specify the jdbc-type if they want things
to be JDO-impl independent for this very reason.

While a default may make sense so people know what they get if nothing is
specified, there are *a lot* of situations where the JDBC driver doesnt
support a "generic" sql type even

--
Andy
Java Persistent Objects - JPOX