db-jdo-dev mailing list archives

From Craig Russell <Craig.Russ...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: TestRunner remarks
Date Sat, 25 Jun 2005 16:32:30 GMT
Hi,

On Jun 24, 2005, at 4:03 AM, Andy Jefferson wrote:

>> However, I have a question:
>>
>> The property "org.jpox.identifier.defaultSchemaName" is passed as
>> system
>> property. This is good because the default schema depends on the
>> identity type. However, there are a number of other JPOX properties
>> which are passed as java.util.Properties. Should we document
>> somewhere
>> that the default schema name property is passed as system property?
>>

> Three comments :-
>
> 1. You should be using "javax.jdo.mapping.Schema" (and
> javax.jdo.mapping.Catalog) and not this JPOX-specific property (as I
> mentioned on the JPOX Forum thread about it that Michelle raised).
> Michelle,
> the reason you were not seeing any effect before was *because* you
> were
> passing this in as a system property and not using the JDO method
> of PMF
> property. I added that as an accepted System property yesterday in
> JPOX CVS.

Right. Now that JPOX supports the official jdo property, the JPOX
properties should not be used.

> 2. I don't remember seeing anything in the JDO spec about accepting
> PMF props
> as System props (ok, JPOX supports it for many properties, but that
> is an
> extension IIRC and you can't rely on it for other impls). Correct
> me if I'm
> wrong (with a reference to the section of the JDO2 spec that
> defines it).

Right. PMF props are only accepted by specification in the properties
file passed to the getPMF method. System properties are a vendor
extension if they are supported at all, and I don't think it's best
practice anyway.

> 3. As I also mentioned on the JPOX Forum thread, your schema name
> should be in
> UPPERCASE if you want schema validation to work (Derby accepts
> UPPERCASE
> identifiers - it only accepts mixed case if they are quoted, and we
> don't
> support validation of mixed case quoted at the moment either).

No comment.

Craig

> --
> Andy