db-jdo-dev mailing list archives

From Michael Watzek <mwa.t...@spree.de>
Subject Re: TestRunner remarks
Date Thu, 23 Jun 2005 15:55:20 GMT
Hi Michelle,

>> Afterwards I ran "maven runtck.jdori". This runs 2 configurations -
>> one for the completeness and one for all test cases. As a result, 4
>> log files are written to target/logs - 2 for application identity, 2
>> for datastore identity. The all test TCK runs produced the expected
>> amount of errors/failures - though, they did not take as much time as
>> expected. Both runs perform about 7-8 times faster on my system -
>> that's great :-)! What have you changed?
>

> Wow, that IS great!  It seemed a lot faster on my system too, but I
> wasn't paying much attention to performance.  I have no idea what the
> difference is :-\  I will try to investigate before I check in.
I'm also curious about the performance boost, so I spent some time in
investigating - without success:

I only get the performance boost with your patch. A clean workspace
without your patch performs 7-8 times slower. I applied two changes of
your patch to a clean workspace just to see if this makes a difference:

jdori.properties:
-org.jpox.validateTables=false  # default = true
+org.jpox.validateTables=false

logging.properties:
-log4j.category.JPOX.General=INFO, A1
+log4j.category.JPOX.General=DEBUG, A1

Both changes do not give better performance. So, I ran out of ideas.
Hopefully, you have more luck in investigation.

>> - Can we include the configuration name and the identity type in the
>> log file name? Currently, it's hard to find the right file if you are
>> interested in only one file.
>

> This is a good idea.  I definitely would like to get more information
> into the log file or file name.  Can you tell me where the log file name
> is created?
Class "BatchTestRunner" has a static inner class "ConsoleFileOutput"
defining a static String "fileNamePrefix":

private static String fileNamePrefix = "TCKLog-";

I suggest to append the value of a system property which contains the
configuration name and the identity type.

Regards,
Michael