db-jdo-dev mailing list archives

From Michael Bouschen <mbo.t...@spree.de>
Subject TestRunner remarks
Date Mon, 20 Jun 2005 21:41:23 GMT
Hi Michelle,

I read the TestRunner description on the wiki and it really looks good!

Some remarks: instead of using configuration files for the list of
databases and the identity types to run the JDO TCK on, we could use
properties in the project.properties file, e.g.
jdo.tck.dblist=derby oracle mysql
jdo.tck.identitytypes=applicationidentity datastoreidentity
I'm not sure about the property names. We already have an internal
property called jdo.tck.identitytype which denotes the identity type
used for the current test. So the plural version jdo.tck.identitytypes
would specify the list of identity types to run the tck on (better name?).

The user can overwrite the default settings as specified in
project.properties by using the -D flag  when calling maven. E.g. 'maven
-Djdo.tck.dblist=derby runtck' would run the tck on derby only.

I try to give answers to the questions you added to the TestRunner
description on the wiki:
(1) I think we do not need separate properties for dblist and identity
types for the iut and jdori.
(2) Yes, I think we assume that the user will overwrite setting using -D
option. I think this becomes less of an issue if we skip the
configuration files db.list and identity.list as proposed above.
(3) It looks like we need separate properties for specifying what
identity types the iut supports (iut.applicationidentity.supported and
iut.datastoreidentity.supported) and for specifying what identity types
the user want to run the tck on (jdo.tck.identitytypes).

We talked about that the test case might need to know whether we are
running with application identity or datastore identity. I propose to
pass the value of jdo.tck.identitytype as a system property. JDO_Test
could read the system property and provide an access method. I have
prototyped this, you find a patch attached.
- maven.xml: pass the value of the property jdo.tck.identitytype as a
system property.
- JDO_Test: reads the system property and provides a boolean method
runsWithApplicationIdentity. I'm not sure about the method name. I did
not choose  isApplicationIdentity, since this could be confused with
isApplicationIdentitySupported which returns true if the iut supports
application identity.

Regards Michael

Tel.:++49/30/235 520-33		Buelowstr. 66
Fax.:++49/30/2175 2012		D-10783 Berlin