db-jdo-dev mailing list archives

From Michael Watzek <mwa.t...@spree.de>
Subject JIRA JDO-59
Date Fri, 10 Jun 2005 15:59:48 GMT
Hi,

JIRA JDO-59 complains that 4 tests hang with
org.jpox.autoStartMechanism=None.

I can reproduce the problem using datastore identity - regardless of the
setting org.jpox.autoStartMechanism. I cannot reproduce it using
application identity.

However, the problem does not show up always. I could not find a
deterministic way of reproducing it. If it shows up, then the VM prints
always the same stacktraces using <CTRL>+<PAUSE> on Windows (see below).

I believe that the tests runs into a race condition. Unfortunately, I do
not know if it occurs in JPOX, in the JDBC driver, or in Derby. I
attached a workaround making the 4 tests pass. Be aware that this is not
a fix, rather than a workaround:

All tests execute 2 concurrent threads. Each thread performs a single
transaction making one or more objects persistent. If the
pm.makePersistent calls are prevented from executing in parallel then I
can not reproduce the problem any more. This is what the patch does.

Regards,
Michael

"Thread-2" daemon prio=5 tid=0x27096008 nid=0x6c8 runnable
[0x27bff000..0x27bffd64]
         at java.io.FileInputStream.readBytes(Native Method)
         at java.io.FileInputStream.read(FileInputStream.java:177)
         at
org.apache.tools.ant.taskdefs.StreamPumper.run(StreamPumper.java:105)
         at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:595)

"Thread-1" daemon prio=5 tid=0x273cec08 nid=0x7ac runnable
[0x27bbf000..0x27bbf9e4]
         at java.io.FileInputStream.readBytes(Native Method)
         at java.io.FileInputStream.read(FileInputStream.java:194)
         at java.io.BufferedInputStream.fill(BufferedInputStream.java:218)
         at java.io.BufferedInputStream.read1(BufferedInputStream.java:256)
         at java.io.BufferedInputStream.read(BufferedInputStream.java:313)
         - locked <0x0297a220> (a java.io.BufferedInputStream)
         at java.io.FilterInputStream.read(FilterInputStream.java:90)