db-jdo-dev mailing list archives

From Craig Russell <Craig.Russ...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: Issue 44: detachOnClose property: On just PM or PM+PMF?
Date Wed, 04 May 2005 15:52:50 GMT
Hi Christian,

The DetachOnClose property would only be triggered by the close of the
last wrapper on the real persistence manager. So I don't think that
this is the issue.

The issue as you have pointed out before is that in a managed
environment there is some uncertainty whether the PM is still open at
the time a return value is serialized.

Craig

On May 4, 2005, at 12:00 AM, Christian.Romberg@versant.net wrote:

> Hi Matthew,
>
> as pointed out in previous discussions, this property won't really
> work in a managed environment.
> (as the close() is not really a JDO-close(), but invalidates one
> handle)
>
> Best regards,
>
> Christian
>

> "Matthew T. Adams" <matthew.adams@xcalia.com>
> Sent by: matthew.adams@xcalia.com
>
> 03/05/2005 23:10
> Please respond to
>  <matthew.adams@xcalia.com>

> <jdo-dev@db.apache.org>, <jdo-experts-ext@sun.com>
> cc
> Subject
> Issue 44:  detachOnClose property:  On just PM or PM+PMF?
>

> Hi all,
>
>  Currently, the interface PersistenceManager defines a property
>  detachOnClose, but PersistenceManagerFactory does not.  Is this a
>  property that should also be on PersistenceManagerFactory whose value
>  PMs inherit from their PMF, much like PMF & PM properties ignoreCache
>  and multithreaded?  Are there other properties whose values PMs should
>  inherit from their PMFs?
>
>  Further, on the issues list, it's listed as #44 with a withdrawal from
>  Abe and a preference from Craig that it remain.  Clarification,
> please.
>
>  --matthew
>
>  Matthew T. Adams
>  Corporate Technical Advisor & Senior Consultant
>  Mobile:  +1 253 732 1051
>  Phone:  +1 206 331 3833
>  Fax:  +1 360 937 9616
>  matthew.adams@xcalia.com
>  P.O. Box 24163
>  Federal Way, WA  98093
>  www.xcalia.com
>

>  Xcalia helps businesses address the challenge of Enterprise
> Information
>  Access in a heterogeneous environment.  We provide products and
> services
>  that facilitate the two-way exchange of information between
> individuals,
>  mission-critical applications, and databases.  Our customers enjoy
>  improved performance, reduced operating and development costs, faster
>  time to market, and rejuvenated legacy systems.

Craig Russell
408 276-5638 mailto:Craig.Russell@sun.com
P.S. A good JDO? O, Gasp!