db-jdo-dev mailing list archives

From Abe White <awh...@solarmetric.com>
Subject InstanceLifecycleEvent
Date Wed, 25 May 2005 00:02:33 GMT
I sent this to the JDO EG mailing list a few weeks ago, but that might
have been the wrong place:

In the JDO 2 codebase in subversion,
javax/jdo/listener/InstanceLifecycleEvent.java throws an
IllegalArgumentException from its constructor when the provided event
type constant is not recognized.  While this would normally be good
practice, I believe this is a very bad thing for spec code.  It makes
it extremely difficult for vendors to define their own additional
lifecycle event types.  It's not as if events are ever constructed by
users, so I don't believe removing the check will lead to errors.  I am
not a committer, but I can send a patch if needed.  The change is
trivial, though, so it hardly seems necessary.

Can we get rid of this exception?  Is there a better way for me to