db-jdo-dev mailing list archives

From Michael Bouschen <mbo.t...@spree.de>
Subject Re: JDO TCK TestRunner ideas
Date Wed, 25 May 2005 20:16:04 GMT
Hi Michelle,

> Hi, Michael,
>
> I am reviewing the ideas we discussed for controlling test execution
> for multiple configurations.  One goal we have is that all allowed
> combinations of tests, mapping files, test data, identity settings,
> ... can be run with a single maven command.  If I understand
> correctly, you pictured that the user would select a configuration
> file by setting it in project.properties and only that one
> configuration (which might include many tests, mappings, etc.) would
> be run by maven.  Is this correct?  Or do you see a way for maven to
> run a set of configuration files on one invocation?

Today the goal runtck run the configuration specified with the property
jdo.tck.configuration. If you want to run a different configuration you
either change the setting of jdo.tck.configuration in project.properties
or set using the -D option it when calling maven (e.g. maven
-Djdo.tck.configuration=conf/my.conf runtck).

maven allows to set properties inside a goal and then call another goal.
The following should run the tck with the configuration from conf/my.conf:
  <j:set var="jdo.tck.configuration" value="conf/my.conf"/>
  <attainGoal name="runtck"/>
So maybe we can have a new property that just lists all the
configuration files you want to run and then run the above in a loop
iterating the configuration list.

I did not try this, I'm just thinking loud here ...

Regards Michael

> -- Michelle
>
> Michael Bouschen wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I had an action item to investigate how to extend the JDO TCK
>> TestRunner  such that the same test class can be run in multiple
>> configurations. These are possible configuration parameters:
>> - identity setting (application or datastore identity)
>> - security on/off
>> - mapping files
>> - test data
>> - list of test classes to be executed
>>
>> We started with the idea the test runner reads parameters from a
>> configuration file, e.g. an xml description. Some of the
>> configuration parameters are important for the build process and I
>> see issues with maven getting the info from the configuration file.
>>
>> I would like to propose to use properties files for the configuration
>> parameters such that maven can directly read and use these
>> configuration  properties.
>>
>> I propose to create a subdirectory called conf in the tck subproject.
>> It contains configuration files, one test configuration per file. The
>> file  has the standard properties format similar to the
>> project.properties file. The file defines a set of standard jdo tck
>> properties (the property names are just a proposal and subject to
>> change):
>> jdo.tck.identitytype = application/datastore
>> jdo.tck.security  = on/off
>> jdo.tck.secutity.policyfile = <policyfilename>
>> jdo.tck.mapping = <one or more .orm files>
>> jdo.tck.testdata = <xml file with test data>
>> jdo.tck.testclasses = <list of classnames>
>>
>> The project.properties file of the tck subproject defines a property
>> called jdo.tck.configuration pointing to one of the configuration files:
>> jdo.tck.configuration = ${basedir}/conf/alltests.properties
>> The user can specify the configuration to use by editing the file
>> project.properties or by setting a system property:
>>   maven -Djdo.tck.configuration=conf/test.properties runtck
>>
>> The maven goal to run the tck for a specific configuration reads the
>> configuration properties from the file as specified by the property
>> jdo.tck.configuration:
>>   <ant:property file="${jdo.tck.configuration}"/>
>> This allows to adapt the classpath to include the enhanced pc classes
>> based on the identitytype.  Any configuration setting needed by the
>> TestRunner is passed as system property (e.g. the security policy
>> file) or as argument of the main method (e.g. the list of test
>> classes to be executed).
>>
>> Does this sound reasonable? Any feedback is appreciated.
>>
>> Regards Michael

Tel.:++49/30/235 520-33		Buelowstr. 66
Fax.:++49/30/2175 2012		D-10783 Berlin