db-jdo-dev mailing list archives

From Michelle Caisse <Michelle.Cai...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: JIRA JDO-48
Date Wed, 25 May 2005 17:18:03 GMT
Michael,

Please take a look at JDO-33, which discusses the need for a log file so
that the stack traces don't get lost when you kill the test run. I think
it would be good to have the stack traces interleaved with the test
result, rather than all at the end.  We also should have a log file
produced by default, rather than having to redirect the test output to a
file.  I would also like to see all the information for part of a test
run if I decide to kill it before completion.  So this, in conjunction
with a log file, looks good, as long as we don't see all the stack
traces twice.

-- Michelle

Michael Watzek wrote:

> Hi,
>
> currently I'm running the TCK with the proposed implementation.
>
> I realized that the TCK output does not show exception traces before
> all tests have been executed. Instead, it only prints the execution
> status of tests. After all tests have been executed, exception traces
> are dumped. For this reason, you have to wait until all tests have
> been executed (which takes quite a long time) before you can start to
> analyse test failures.
>
> If we catch exceptions in method runBare(), log them, and afterwards
> throw them, then we could start analysing failures immediately after
> test execution. Clearly, runBare() has a throws clause (Throwable).
> Moreover, we can log failures and errors using different log levels.
>
> The runBare() code would look like this:
>
>     public void runBare() throws Throwable {
>         try {
>             setUp();
>             runTest();
>         }
>         catch (AssertionFailedError e) {
>             logger.error("Exception during setUp or runtest: ", e);
>             throw e;
>         }
>         catch (Throwable t) {
>             logger.fatal("Exception during setUp or runtest: ", t);
>             throw t;
>         }
>         finally {
>             tearDown();
>         }
>     }
>
> Does this make sence?
>
> Regards,
> Michael
>
>> Hi Michael,
>>
>> On May 25, 2005, at 2:32 AM, Michael Watzek wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Craig,

>>> What about this:
>>>
>>> addTearDownObjectId(Object)
>>> addTearDownInstance(Object)
>>> addTearDownClass(Class)
>>

>> Ok.

>>> In a first step, I suggest to adapt all life cycle tests. If there
>>> are life cycle tests relying on the execution of other life cycle
>>> tests, then I'll take care that those tests set up the database
>>> properly. If there are non-life cycle tests, relying on the
>>> execution of life cycle tests, then those tests will fail. In that
>>> case, I'll adapt those tests also.
>>

>> Ok.
>>
>> Craig
>>

>>> What do you think?
>>> Regards,
>>> Michael
>>> --
>>> Michael Watzek                  Tech@Spree Engineering GmbH
>>> mailto:mwa.tech@spree.de        Buelowstr. 66
>>> Tel.:  ++49/30/235 520 36       10783 Berlin - Germany