db-jdo-dev mailing list archives

From Wes Biggs <...@tralfamadore.com>
Subject Re: Issue 117: regarding Apache JDO Issue JDO-46
Date Tue, 24 May 2005 01:29:17 GMT
I'm not too keen on allowing close() to be called multiple times (on
either PM or PMF), though it's clearly a NOP.  But if we're going to be
consistent about throwing exceptions for untenable code paths, we ought
to, er, be consistent. ;-)

I would also support (though it would be a change from JDO1) access to
get/setUserObject() regardless of closed-ness.  A use case might be:
associate some context object with a PM; release it into the wild; when
it is closed and returned, perform some context-sensitive action.

Other than that looks good.

Wes

Craig Russell wrote:

> This is issue 117.
>
> Currently, the spec is inconsistent or unclear in the treatment of
> close after close in the cases of PM and PMF.
>
> Unclear: The PMF section on close doesn't address close, but does
> specifically disallow getPersistenceManager and “set methods” and
> allow “other get methods”. Nothing is said about isClosed, close,
> add/remove instance lifecycle listener.
>
> Inconsistent with PMF: The PM section on close says that after close
> completes, all methods except isClosed throw JDOFatalUserException.
>
> Proposal:
>
> Change PM to state: all methods except isClosed, close, and getPMF
> throw JDOFatalUserException.
>
> Change PMF to state: all methods except isClosed, close, and getter
> methods throw JDOFatalUserException.
>
> Craig
>
> On May 23, 2005, at 1:31 AM, erik@jpox.org wrote:
>
>> This is a JPOX bug. It's due to a close call to a closed PMF.
>>
>> Question: If the PMF is closed and the close is called, is this a
>> nope or
>> JDOUserException?
>>
>> Quoting Michael Bouschen <mbo.tech@spree.de>:
>>
>>> Hi Michelle,
>>>
>>> I added a comment to issue JDO-46 including the stacktrace of the
>>> NullPointerException thrown by jpox
>>> AbstractPersistenceManagerFactory.close.
>>>
>>> Regards Michael
>>>
>>> --
>>> Michael Bouschen        Tech@Spree Engineering GmbH
>>> mailto:mbo.tech@spree.de    http://www.tech.spree.de/
>>> Tel.:++49/30/235 520-33        Buelowstr. 66