db-jdo-dev mailing list archives

From Michael Watzek <mwa.t...@spree.de>
Subject JIRA JDO-48
Date Fri, 20 May 2005 14:10:30 GMT
Hi,

I like to propose a solution for JIRA JDO-48
(http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JDO-48).

Actually, JDO-48 describes two issues:

1) Query tests fail cleaning up the database because of a foreign key
constraint violation. The reason is that HollowInstanceMaintainsPK does
not clean up the database.

2) Different TCK tests have different strategies for clean up.

This proposal fixes issue 2) and, as a side effect, issue 1) also.

Current status:

Class JDOTest is the super class of all TCK tests. Amongst others, this
class defines methods setUp() and tearDown(). Method setUp() creates the
PMF instance. Method tearDown() closes the PM instance (created by
tests) and it closes the PMF instance. Furthermore, method tearDown()
implements the semantics that takes care for throwing the right
exception in case of tests and/or tear down failures: Exceptions during
tear down do not affect the test result in case of test failures. In
such cases, method tearDown() logs exceptions. However, if tests succeed
  and tearDown() throws an exception then that exception determines the
test result.

Problem:

Some tests override method tearDown() cleaning up the database, some
tests clean up the database inside the test methods (testXXX).

Proposal:

The objective of this proposal are:

1) Tests should not need to override method tearDown() as the semantics
is not trivial and error-prone. Instead, tests have hooks into setUp()
and tearDown(). There, they may allocate/release resources and/or data.

2) Tests may register created (persistent) data. That data is cleaned up
automatically during tearDown().

Solution:

1) We add 2 methods to class JDOTest localSetUp() and localTearDown().
These methods are called by setUp() and by tearDown(). They are hooks
into the two methods and they may be overridden by subclasses.

2) Furthermore, we add 2 methods to class JDOTest which may be used for
registering persistence capable instances and persistence capable
classses. The default implementation of localTearDown() cleans up all
registered persistent data.

3) We change all tests in order to comply to 1) and 2).

Obviously, issue 3) is most time-consuming. For this reason, I suggest
to solve 1) and 2) in a first step. In a second step, we solve issue 3)
per TCK package, e.g. starting with "org.apache.jdo.tck.lifecycle".

What do you think?

Regards,
Michael