db-jdo-dev mailing list archives

From Craig Russell <Craig.Russ...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: JIRA JDO-48
Date Tue, 24 May 2005 16:45:43 GMT
Hi Michael,

On May 20, 2005, at 7:10 AM, Michael Watzek wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I like to propose a solution for JIRA JDO-48
> (http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JDO-48).
>
> Solution:
>
> 1) We add 2 methods to class JDOTest localSetUp() and localTearDown().
> These methods are called by setUp() and by tearDown(). They are hooks
> into the two methods and they may be overridden by subclasses.

This is good.

> 2) Furthermore, we add 2 methods to class JDOTest which may be used
> for registering persistence capable instances and persistence capable
> classses. The default implementation of localTearDown() cleans up all
> registered persistent data.

We need method names. I'm thinking that we add tear down instances and
classes. So, addTearDownInstance(Object) and addTearDownClass(Class).
Or just registerTearDown(Object) where the parameter might be a
persistent object, an oid, or a class.

> 3) We change all tests in order to comply to 1) and 2).

This needs just a bit of extra thought. Some test cases assume that
there are some instances in the database and if there are none, create
some. It's not clear that there is any issue for these cases, so we
should not arbitrarily clean up.

Craig

> Obviously, issue 3) is most time-consuming. For this reason, I suggest
> to solve 1) and 2) in a first step. In a second step, we solve issue
> 3) per TCK package, e.g. starting with "org.apache.jdo.tck.lifecycle".
>
> What do you think?
>
> Regards,
> Michael
> --
> Michael Watzek                  Tech@Spree Engineering GmbH
> mailto:mwa.tech@spree.de        Buelowstr. 66
> Tel.:  ++49/30/235 520 36       10783 Berlin - Germany
> Fax.:  ++49/30/217 520 12       http://www.spree.de/

Craig Russell
408 276-5638 mailto:Craig.Russell@sun.com
P.S. A good JDO? O, Gasp!