db-jdo-dev mailing list archives

From Craig Russell <Craig.Russ...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: Apache JDO 2.0
Date Thu, 07 Apr 2005 03:28:21 GMT
Hi Brian,

On Apr 6, 2005, at 6:09 PM, Brian Topping wrote:

> Hi gang,
>
> I started on a Maven plugin for the project (trivial, really), but it
> struck me that I don't know what the plan is for 2.0 so I thought I
> would ask.  Are we planning on rewriting everything from scratch?

It turns out that JDO 2 is a natural extension of JDO 1, and everything
we did for JDO 1 still applies to JDO 2. So it's natural for me to
think of migrating the JDO 1 fostore (currently checked in to Apache
JDO as ri11) to JDO 2. Michael Bouschen and I have been discussing how
to split ri11 into several sub-projects so they can be reused by other
projects, specifically the persistence model and java model.

Then we can implement a JDO 2 version of fostore as a proof of concept
and then look at how to do the SQL version of the StoreManager.

Of course, feel free to look at the ri11 and see if there are things
that you don't like and we can change it all around to suit.

Craig

> As I
> was looking over things today, I got to thinking that the enhancement
> could be helped along by using something like ASM or CGLib.  And I
> remembered from distant past that there was some motion to use TranQL.
>
> Seems to me that things would be easier to start from scratch, stealing
> code as we go.  What does everyone else think?
>
> I'm away from devices electronic for the next six days, so I'm going to
> miss the conf. call again.  I called in last week about :15 after, but
> nobody home.  Probably just missed everyone.
>
> have a good week/end...
>
> :b

Craig Russell
408 276-5638 mailto:Craig.Russell@sun.com