db-jdo-dev mailing list archives

From Craig Russell <Craig.Russ...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: Apache JDO 2.0
Date Thu, 07 Apr 2005 03:22:06 GMT
Hi Brian,

On Apr 6, 2005, at 6:09 PM, Brian Topping wrote:

> Hi gang,
>
> I started on a Maven plugin for the project (trivial, really), but it
> struck me that I don't know what the plan is for 2.0 so I thought I
> would ask.  Are we planning on rewriting everything from scratch?  As I
> was looking over things today, I got to thinking that the enhancement
> could be helped along by using something like ASM or CGLib.

There are a number of people whose opinions I respect that have come
around to the opinion that ASM is the way to go. If we need to go. The
JDO 1 reference enhancer needs and uses a proprietary byte code
analysis and generation tool and it's not clear that changing it out is
a priority, but I'm not the expert on this code base. I do know that
it's been very reliable and almost functional enough for our purposes.
But for J2SE 5, we will need to add functionality to accommodate enums,
assert, annotations, and possibly generics. These requirements might be
added to the current library or we might want to redo the tool to use
ASM.

> And I
> remembered from distant past that there was some motion to use TranQL.

There are a few things that I want to do but I've been focusing on
getting the JCP requirements finished before going off defining the
rest of the project.

Briefly, I'd like to implement a JDO 2.0 (not the JPOX RI) that can be
tightly integrated with Geronimo (hence, use TranQL as the persistence
engine). I also want to have a database model and mapping that can be
used by tools (IDE, batch) to generate schema from data models and vice
versa. Some of this code is already in open source projects (Netbeans
specifically) but needs serious work to be viable for use by us.

> Seems to me that things would be easier to start from scratch, stealing
> code as we go.  What does everyone else think?

Aside from the unfortunate use of the word "stealing": I think it makes
sense to see what is out there that we need, and import binarily [sic]
instead of forking, which is what I assume you meant.

> I'm away from devices electronic for the next six days, so I'm going to
> miss the conf. call again.  I called in last week about :15 after, but
> nobody home.  Probably just missed everyone.

We had the meeting and since no one called in after 15 minutes we hung
up.

> have a good week/end...
>
> :b

Craig Russell