db-jdo-dev mailing list archives

From Craig Russell <Craig.Russ...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: New Apache db project loosely coupled to Apache JDO
Date Thu, 28 Apr 2005 18:14:06 GMT
Hi Gianny,

What we want from the DBUtils is only the model of the database schema.
We want to be able to use the model to create mappings of persistent
instances to the database schema. We want to do this without having a
live connection to the database, but get all of the information
normally obtained via JDBC metadata calls.

I understand that Tranql includes a java representation of some of the
elements of a schema, but I consider that an implementation of a model.
I have looked at other database mapping implementations and all of them
that I looked at combine the java model with the database model. I'm
looking for a clean separation of: interfaces from implementation; and
mapping from database.

I'm looking for a component library that for example could generate DDL
from the model for any kind of database; represent the schema from an
existing database; migrate schema from one database to another;
generate a java object model from database schema; generate database
schema from a java object model; create a mapping between an object
model and a database schema, possibly suggesting changes to one side or
the other.

For the Apache JDO project, I envision using the database model mostly
for the mapping exercise, and then at runtime, telling Tranql what the
mapping is in order for it to handle the jdbc and caching issues.

Hope that helps,

Craig

On Apr 28, 2005, at 6:26 AM, Gianny Damour wrote:

> Hi Craig,
>
> Sorry to revive this rather old thread. Indeed, DBUtils seems to be
> very nice.
>
> I would like to know how you would like to use this tool in the
> context of Apache JDO: do you want to leverage it to have an in memory
> representation of a database? Do you want to use it to also handle
> database interactions?
>
> Please let me know what such a tool should do and I will tell you if
> TranQL can do it for you and submit some code to actually do it.
>
> Thanks,
> Gianny
>
> On 28/04/2005 4:25 AM, Craig Russell wrote:
>
>> Hi Thomas,
>>
>> Just today I looked for something like the ddlutils at the apache db
>> web site and came up dry. Thanks for the info.
>>
>> We will be looking at this with keen interest, so let us know (via
>> the alias of course) what it happening!
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Craig
>
> <snip>