db-jdo-dev mailing list archives

From Michael Watzek <mwa.t...@spree.de>
Subject Brief summary on apache ddlutils project
Date Thu, 28 Apr 2005 12:29:13 GMT
Hi,

I had a look at the Apache ddlutils project
(http://db.apache.org/ddlutils/). Here is a brief summery of their
feature set. They have a

- DB model, containing a set of classes like Database, Table, Column etc.
- XML (de)serializer.
- DDL generator/executor.
- simple API for executing select+DML statements.
- ant integration.

A nice feature is the DDL generator/executor: It supports various
databases, such as axion, db2, hsqldb, mckoi, mssql, mysql, oracle,
postgresql, and sybase.

With respect to the DB model I noticed that they do not have a
factory/interface approach facilitating to choose between different
model implementations.

Furthermore, there seems to be no support for loading different models
having the same name. In certain environments, it may be useful to load
different versions of the same model, e.g. applications servers and IDEs.

With respect to model serialization, the XML example link does not work.
So, I will check the XML serialization format as soon as the link is fixed.

Regards,
Michael