db-jdo-dev mailing list archives

From Michelle Caisse <Michelle.Cai...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: Collections of interfaces
Date Wed, 27 Apr 2005 17:33:10 GMT
Hi,

Craig Russell wrote:

> Hi Michelle,
>
> On Apr 27, 2005, at 8:40 AM, Michelle Caisse wrote:
>
>     Hi, Craig,
>
>     I'm not sure what you mean by map.  Are you referring to Erik's
>     email about using the implementation-classes extension?  I can
>     figure that out, I would think.  I assume it would go into the jdo
>     file and not the orm.
>

> I was hoping (actually expecting) that the JPOX-specific stuff would
> be in the .orm file not the .jdo file. The .jdo file is supposed to be
> able to contain *just* the object model stuff, and no mapping
> information. And enumerating the classes that can implement the
> interface for the purpose of being able to map to the database seems
> like mapping information to me.
>
> This stuff falls into the category of what changes are allowed to the
> TCK files in order to pass the tests. I'd like to think that the .jdo
> files are not touchable, but the .orm files are allowed to be changed.
> So adding vendor-specific stuff to .jdo doesn't appeal to me.

I have the particular short-term task of using JPOX SchemaTool to
generate the DDL and .orm files for the pc.fieldtypes classes containing
collections of interfaces . So I don't yet have the .orm file in which
to place any vendor extensions.  This extension has been around since
JPOX 1.0 (the JDO 1 release), so I assume that it is actually meant to
go in the .jdo file.

>     On another note, yesterday I collected more information on the
>     OutOfMemoryError problem
>     (http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JDO-21).  It seems that
>     there are several different causes: some instances of not closing
>     the pmf and some specific tests that gobble memory and don't
>     return it when they complete.
>

> If you know of specific cases where resources are not being closed or
> returned, these could be filed as individual JIRA bugs (assuming that
> it's easier to file a JIRA than just to fix it, using JDO-21 as the
> bug report to file it against).

I will do a little more investigation and then file some individual JIRAs.

Thanks, Craig.

-- Michelle