db-jdo-dev mailing list archives

From Brian Topping <topp...@codehaus.org>
Subject Re: ArtifactId of jdo projects
Date Wed, 06 Apr 2005 01:11:26 GMT

Craig Russell wrote:

> Hi Michael,
>
> On Apr 5, 2005, at 12:47 PM, Michael Bouschen wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> today the jdo project api11 and api20 use the same artifactId
>> 'jdo-api', but different version numbers (1.1 vs. 2.0).  I think both
>> projects should not share the same artifactId. They implement the JDO
>> API as defined in different specs: JDO1 (JSR-12) and JDO2 (JSR-243),
>> so they should coexists. I propose to change the artifactId to
>> jdo1-api and jdo2-api and do a similar change for ri11, tck11 and tck20.
>

> Sounds good.

+1.  Just ran into this myself.

>> Another question: the maven doc for the currentVersion project
>> descriptor element says: "The current version of the project. This
>> should end in -SNAPSHOT until the release of that version is made.".
>> I propose to add the '-SNAPSHOT' in the project.xml of the jdo projects.
>

> If this is really what other projects do, I'd agree. Do any of you on
> this alias have experience with other projects using the -SNAPSHOT
> suffix? I assume that this means that the name of the jar is for
> example jdo2-api-2.0-SNAPSHOT until we release.

There's a lot of dragons lurking in this area.  One of the ones that I
have had a lot of problems with are projects that include the -SNAPSHOT
suffix in the <version/>.  I would advocate that this is the wrong way
to do it because it breaks all the snapshot and release tools that are
built into maven itself.

Dentaku, XDoclet2, Mule, and all my internal projects use the
jar:install-snapshot goal as the default goal, which automatically adds
the suffix.  What's nice is that 'jar:snapshot-deploy' (for those with
correct privs) will push the jar from your repo to the correct staging
area for pushing to Ibiblio, without per-user files that need to be
modified in the RCS areas.  There are similar goals for released version
pushes.

When used like this, there is no version number in the SNAPSHOT name,
i.e. 'jdo2-api-SNAPSHOT.jar'.  I agree that this is the correct
behavior, since developers who want to be on the bleeding edge and
always get the latest should not have to change the name of their
dependencies if there are releases on projects (thus changing the
version numbers).

> Does release mean an alpha or beta? So when we decide that the api is
> ready for external use (I actually think we've made that decision
> already) that we would name it jdo2-api-2.0-ALPHA1, or less loudly,
> jdo2-api-2.0-alpha1.

Might want to look through the jars on Ibiblio for this one, most people
just use (for instance) jdo2-api-2.0a1.

Is there a definitive release nomenclature on this project yet?  Any
links if so?

:b