db-jdo-dev mailing list archives

From Wes Biggs <...@tralfamadore.com>
Subject Re: updates to tck11 project
Date Sat, 02 Apr 2005 19:35:27 GMT
It seems to me that the spec was purposefully quite vague in this
regard, and my reading was that, sure, you could have a field declared
as type Object, but that really implied very little about what could be
stored (mapped) into it.

My take on the current spec is that the mapping might actually restrict
the field to only one type (or hierarchy), and throw ClassCastException
or something similar for other types.

As Craig says, this is a mapping issue -- it's possible that my object
model is defined to take Object, but my data model had as hard foreign
key constraint that the field actually has to be an Employee.  In this
scenario I think the current spec is good.  There are plenty of
legitimate reasons (even disregarding Java5 generics) you might have a
field of type Object but know as a programmer or deployer that it will
only actually store an Employee reference.

Now, if we had a way to delineate exactly what types are defined as
mappable for a field, it might be reasonable for the ORM part of the TCK
to exercise these types (or one of them).  Beyond that I don't think
this should be part of the TCK.

Wes