db-jdo-dev mailing list archives

From Craig Russell <Craig.Russ...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: Apache repository
Date Tue, 22 Mar 2005 00:29:21 GMT
Hi Geir,

I'm not too concerned about this subproject. It's the spec; no
creativity is involved, and the IP belongs to the JCP. I was the author
of the original bits and basically what we are doing here is changing a
few of the JDO 1 interfaces to be JDO 2 interfaces.

None of the folks who currently have JDO 2 bits are committers on the
Apache JDO project. And it's not clear that the API is the kind of
thing that is really helped by having everyone commit their own code.

What I'm going to do is to add a bunch of javadoc to the code and check
it in. Once I publish the code, JDO implementations have to import it
and then distribute beta copies to their customers. This is a
prerequisite for folks out there to start using an official JDO 2
library so it's time critical.

If you are still concerned about this, we should continue to discuss...

On Mar 21, 2005, at 4:22 AM, Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:

> On Mar 18, 2005, at 7:10 PM, Craig Russell wrote:
>> Hi,
>> I'm now ready to start on the JDO 2.0 API project. I've already
>> committed the jdo.dtd and orm.dtd files, and I'm looking next for the
>> javax.jdo and javax.jdo.spi files.
>> I know that there are some implementations already out there that
>> must have created the interface files, and I'd like to start from
>> these. I updated the Public Draft 2 to change a number of the package
>> names for the new interfaces (e.g. listeners) and it's these new
>> packages that I'd like to put into the Apache repo.
>> If any of you can send me a zipped directory with your .java files in
>> it, I'll take the best of the bunch and edit the javadoc etc. and
>> check the stuff in. Then we can all work from the latest.
> lets be careful here.  I think we'd like to see everyone committing
> their own code for bunches of reasons.
> To that end, lets setup a sandbox where people can commit their bits
> and pieces, and then if refactoring and repackaging has to happen,
> that can be the source.  This way things are clean and clear about
> where code is coming from, and from whom.
> geir
> --
> geirm@apache.org
Craig Russell