db-jdo-dev mailing list archives

From Brian Topping <topp...@codehaus.org>
Subject Re: DTD files
Date Mon, 21 Mar 2005 19:22:04 GMT
Hi Craig,

Yes, this is good.  I'll take a look at that.  From the conference call
week back (sorry I missed everyone this week), we were considering that
the public metadata specs ought to be in XSD, without DTD.  What do you
think of that?  I'm not a big DTD user, so I don't know what the reasons
are that people commonly want to use them.  The advantages of using XSD
are that there is only one spec, that XSD is much more expressive, and
it can be parsed with standard XML tools.

If we are still going to maintain a DTD, I would suggest that it is a
mistake to develop an XSD that is not a machine translation of the DTD,
because no XSD is a better answer than an incorrect XSD resulting from
not being maintained.  And if we are going to do a machine translation,
I'd just suggest putting Trang into the build and make it a build-time
artifact rather than checking it it.  It's a pretty slippery slope if we
don't want to stay focused on XSD.

Another alternate is to use RelaxNG, which is reasonably expressive, can
be written in XML (so it is can be parsed), and can be machine
translated into both DTD and XSD.  It is not as expressive as XSD, but
if I remember correctly, there are only a couple of XSD constructions
that can't be done in it.  It does add the RelaxNG closure to the
dependencies though.

Comments anyone?

-b