db-jdo-dev mailing list archives

From Dain Sundstrom <dsundst...@gluecode.com>
Subject Re: High level structure of Apache JDO project
Date Mon, 28 Feb 2005 20:05:00 GMT
On Feb 27, 2005, at 1:35 PM, Geir Magnusson Jr wrote:

> On Feb 27, 2005, at 4:21 PM, Craig Russell wrote:
>
>> On Feb 27, 2005, at 8:28 AM, Geir Magnusson Jr wrote:
>>
>>> I'd like to strongly lobby that the website is built some other way
>>> - we are changing how we do Geronimo as we've gotten to the point
>>> where the current site is unbuildable, and thus this discourages
>>> people adding to the site, and drives them to the wiki which in some
>>> ways is like handing them chalk and sending them out to the
>>> sidewalk.
>>
>> The wiki has served well so far, and I agree that it's like a
>> chalk/sidewalk paradigm, that's what we need right now. We probably
>> need to learn to use the JIRA tool to be better organized as well.
>
> They are tools for different things.  JIRA is for tracking bugs and
> feature requests.  Wiki is good for the communal brainstorming, but
> nothing beats a well done project site.

I agree with you that the wiki used by Apache is ill-suited for
building websites.  There are other Wiki servers that have features
such as permissions and templating which are much better at website
building.  For example, the Groovy website
(http://groovy.codehaus.org/) is based on the Confluence wiki.

Anyway, just wanted to clear up a common misbelief about wiki software
:)

-dain