db-jdo-dev mailing list archives

From Geir Magnusson Jr <g...@4quarters.com>
Subject Re: High level structure of Apache JDO project
Date Sun, 27 Feb 2005 16:28:42 GMT

On Feb 26, 2005, at 7:17 PM, Craig Russell wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Now that we have a repository (it even has a file...whoopee!) we need
> to resolve the high level structure. Any and all advice is
> appreciated.
>
> We aren't quite as complicated as Geronimo, but we do plan to have a
> full web site mostly (completely?) built by maven. And several sub
> projects. Let's look at other projects and see if we can pick a
> paragon to emulate.

I'd like to strongly lobby that the website is built some other way -
we are changing how we do Geronimo as we've gotten to the point where
the current site is unbuildable, and thus this discourages people
adding to the site, and drives them to the wiki which in some ways is
like handing them chalk and sending them out to the sidewalk.

Having content on the site is really important, IMO - especially
documentation that people can trust - so we want to make it as easy as
possible for people to update.

> Are there other tools besides maven that we should look at to build
> the site?

I'm a real fan of simple velocity templates or even just htm.  We had a
good system in Jakarta using Anakia, but DVSL or even XSL for the
masochistic are fine by me.  The point is to make it look like an
apache site, keep it simple to edit and update.

> Are there things that we need to be aware of in order to push the web
> site after a successful nightly build?

That's really one of the problems - coupling the site to the build.
Nightly snapshots can still be built and posted independent of the site
itself.

> Are there other admin things that we need to set up?

I don't recall.

geir

geir@gluecode.com