db-jdo-dev mailing list archives

From Geir Magnusson Jr. <ge...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Direction of this project...
Date Sat, 12 Feb 2005 13:53:03 GMT

On Feb 12, 2005, at 12:16 AM, Niclas Hedhman wrote:

> On Saturday 12 February 2005 11:57, Craig Russell wrote:
>
>> Right now, we have several people contributing, mostly from Sun. We
>> are
>> looking for others to participate.
>
>> From the "Apache Way" point of view, there is no participation at all.
> Progress, set-backs, ideas and rejections, and everything else
> (non-personal)
> is expected to be communicated in public, not over at the water cooler
> in
> Sun's office.
> The main criticism of the Netbeans project (when I was involved as a
> Platform
> adopter) was this "everything seems to happen and be decided within
> the walls
> of Sun, and only when something exist it is brought out in the open..."
> In Netbeans, Sun have that luxory. In ASF, I would say you don't.
> That is also the reason why the 'Incubator guidelines' brings up the

I don't think you are getting it.   This is a brand new project, and
people are busy with other unrelated things at the moment.

JDO1, which this project is focused around at this point, is a
completed spec.

JDO2 is unrelated to this project at the moment, and is a hot issue at
the JCP.   The things going on at the JCP related to JDO have nothing
to do with this project, nor the software coming from Sun, other than
many of us are involved with JDO2 also, and are very busy and focused
there.

>>> Ok, guys and gals... What is happening? I really want to know.
>>
>> Can you be more specific about what you are looking for? Do you want
>> contribute and don't know how or what to do?
>
> Nah, nothing specific. A quiet mailing list means a project is
> dormant. But I
> know it isn't, so I just want to 'kick the dust around' to highlight a
> discrepancy.

Before we go down a rat hole of misunderstanding, what is the problem?
it's too quiet at the moment?

geir

geirm@apache.org