db-jdo-dev mailing list archives

From Craig Russell <Craig.Russ...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: High level structure of Apache JDO project
Date Sun, 27 Feb 2005 21:21:35 GMT
Hi,

On Feb 27, 2005, at 8:28 AM, Geir Magnusson Jr wrote:

> On Feb 26, 2005, at 7:17 PM, Craig Russell wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Now that we have a repository (it even has a file...whoopee!) we need
>> to resolve the high level structure. Any and all advice is
>> appreciated.
>>
>> We aren't quite as complicated as Geronimo, but we do plan to have a
>> full web site mostly (completely?) built by maven. And several sub
>> projects. Let's look at other projects and see if we can pick a
>> paragon to emulate.
>
> I'd like to strongly lobby that the website is built some other way -
> we are changing how we do Geronimo as we've gotten to the point where
> the current site is unbuildable, and thus this discourages people
> adding to the site, and drives them to the wiki which in some ways is
> like handing them chalk and sending them out to the sidewalk.

The wiki has served well so far, and I agree that it's like a
chalk/sidewalk paradigm, that's what we need right now. We probably
need to learn to use the JIRA tool to be better organized as well.

> Having content on the site is really important, IMO - especially
> documentation that people can trust - so we want to make it as easy as
> possible for people to update.

I agree that relying completely on maven to build the whole site is not
the best, but it still seems that the basic web pages should be done
that way, and some additional pages hand crafted. Does this seem
reasonable?

>> Are there other tools besides maven that we should look at to build
>> the site?
>
> I'm a real fan of simple velocity templates or even just htm.  We had
> a good system in Jakarta using Anakia, but DVSL or even XSL for the
> masochistic are fine by me.  The point is to make it look like an
> apache site, keep it simple to edit and update.
>>
>> Are there things that we need to be aware of in order to push the web
>> site after a successful nightly build?
>
> That's really one of the problems - coupling the site to the build.
> Nightly snapshots can still be built and posted independent of the
> site itself.

One of the nice things that I saw in the maven-generated sites is
automatic statistics and reports. It seemed that we should be able to
take advantage of this feature while maintaining some other parts by
hand.

Craig