db-jdo-dev mailing list archives

From Michael Bouschen <mbo.t...@spree.de>
Subject JDO TCK TestRunner ideas
Date Wed, 23 Feb 2005 22:35:57 GMT
Hi,

I had an action item to investigate how to extend the JDO TCK TestRunner
  such that the same test class can be run in multiple configurations.
These are possible configuration parameters:
- identity setting (application or datastore identity)
- security on/off
- mapping files
- test data
- list of test classes to be executed

We started with the idea the test runner reads parameters from a
configuration file, e.g. an xml description. Some of the configuration
parameters are important for the build process and I see issues with
maven getting the info from the configuration file.

I would like to propose to use properties files for the configuration
parameters such that maven can directly read and use these configuration
  properties.

I propose to create a subdirectory called conf in the tck subproject. It
contains configuration files, one test configuration per file. The file
  has the standard properties format similar to the project.properties
file. The file defines a set of standard jdo tck properties (the
property names are just a proposal and subject to change):
jdo.tck.identitytype = application/datastore
jdo.tck.security  = on/off
jdo.tck.secutity.policyfile = <policyfilename>
jdo.tck.mapping = <one or more .orm files>
jdo.tck.testdata = <xml file with test data>
jdo.tck.testclasses = <list of classnames>

The project.properties file of the tck subproject defines a property
called jdo.tck.configuration pointing to one of the configuration files:
jdo.tck.configuration = ${basedir}/conf/alltests.properties
The user can specify the configuration to use by editing the file
project.properties or by setting a system property:
   maven -Djdo.tck.configuration=conf/test.properties runtck

The maven goal to run the tck for a specific configuration reads the
configuration properties from the file as specified by the property
jdo.tck.configuration:
   <ant:property file="${jdo.tck.configuration}"/>
This allows to adapt the classpath to include the enhanced pc classes
based on the identitytype.  Any configuration setting needed by the
TestRunner is passed as system property (e.g. the security policy file)
or as argument of the main method (e.g. the list of test classes to be
executed).

Does this sound reasonable? Any feedback is appreciated.

Regards Michael
Tel.:++49/30/235 520-33		Buelowstr. 66
Fax.:++49/30/2175 2012		D-10783 Berlin