db-jdo-dev mailing list archives

From Apache JDO project <jdo-...@db.apache.org>
Subject Re: High level structure of Apache JDO project
Date Sun, 27 Feb 2005 05:22:55 GMT
On Sunday 27 February 2005 11:17, Craig Russell wrote:
> We aren't quite as complicated as Geronimo, but we do plan to have a
> full web site mostly (completely?) built by maven. And several sub
> projects. Let's look at other projects and see if we can pick a paragon
> to emulate.

People tend to organize their respective projects a bit differently.

There is a general recommendation of the

  trunk/
  tags/
  branches/

but some do that at subproject levels, whereas some do it only at the
top-level, yet others doesn't use the ttb structure like that at all.

One of the best things about subversion is that it is not expensive to change
the directory structure later, as it is in CVS, so I would recommend
"Simplicity first" and evolve with the needs as they arise.

Maven have the 'single artifact' rule per "Maven project", which often is not
identical with the logical projects.

I would recommend;
 * Create a 'trunk' top level directory.
 * Identify the generated Jar artifacts.
 * Create one directory for each in the trunk.
 * Create a trunk-level project.xml, that contains the global info.
 * Create one project.xml in each Maven project.
 * Create the src/java (is that still the Maven default) in each project dir.
 * Create the src/test for the unittest, if any.
 * Create a site project, with a xdocs/ directory if using Maven for the site
generation. If you choose Forrest, it has slightly different layout of stuff
I think, but a separate site project is still recommended.

Cheers
Niclas