db-jdo-dev mailing list archives

From Niclas Hedhman <nic...@hedhman.org>
Subject Re: Direction of this project...
Date Sat, 12 Feb 2005 18:33:00 GMT
On Sunday 13 February 2005 02:00, Geir Magnusson Jr wrote:
> However, I think that just getting the Sun JDO1 code 'over the hump' is
> our focus, although as I said, given the fact that the Sun people are
> JDO people (hence involved in the JDO2 huggermuggery), and I as Apache
> JCP EC rep am also knee deep in it....

Yeah, I have missed this earlier...
Why is there so much focus on JDO in J2EE? After all, the biggest supporters
of JDO are we, who don't like, don't want or can not use J2EE.

I doubt that EJB3 will be anywhere close to useful in smaller sized
applications. EJB has traditionally been mixing "concern spaces" like few
others, and I have very little faith that the EJB3 Persistence API will be
anywhere near useful, especially in constrained devices.

And when is the spec scheduled to be released?

Phew... Incredibly interesting line of argumentation that the "No voters"
give; Basically "It is more than you are allowed to do." Are they worried
that by the time EJB3 hits the streets it is totally outdate, and JDO3 will
be around the corner with even better goddies.

Honestly, your 'comment' is really nice, but don't forget commercial companies
don't really like market forces...

Cheers
Niclas