db-jdo-dev mailing list archives

From Niclas Hedhman <nic...@hedhman.org>
Subject Re: Direction of this project...
Date Sat, 12 Feb 2005 05:16:47 GMT
On Saturday 12 February 2005 11:57, Craig Russell wrote:

> > No discussion, no feedback, no community life at all.
>
> We will start to use the jdo-dev alias more, starting from now.

That's good :o)

> Right now, we have several people contributing, mostly from Sun. We are
> looking for others to participate.

From the "Apache Way" point of view, there is no participation at all.
Progress, set-backs, ideas and rejections, and everything else (non-personal)
is expected to be communicated in public, not over at the water cooler in
Sun's office.
The main criticism of the Netbeans project (when I was involved as a Platform
adopter) was this "everything seems to happen and be decided within the walls
of Sun, and only when something exist it is brought out in the open..."
In Netbeans, Sun have that luxory. In ASF, I would say you don't.
That is also the reason why the 'Incubator guidelines' brings up the

> > Ok, guys and gals... What is happening? I really want to know.
>
> Can you be more specific about what you are looking for? Do you want to
> contribute and don't know how or what to do?

Nah, nothing specific. A quiet mailing list means a project is dormant. But I
know it isn't, so I just want to 'kick the dust around' to highlight a
discrepancy.

> If you want to participate in the specification-making process, I'm
> happy to invite you. JDO specification is being developed in the
> http://jcp.org process. To contribute there, just sign the JSPA and ask
> to join the JSR 243 expert group. It's a very open process.

Thanks, but I don't feel I have the knowledge and/or experience to be a net
contributor to the process. If you guys just use a list like this to discuss
the various topics that normally happens over coffee and in the JCP EG, it
would be great and satisfy my curiousity. After all, somewhere down the line
I am user, and it always helps if you have followed the 'line of thinking'
behind a product before starting using it. It lessens the learning curve, and
I would think increases overall quality.

Cheers
Niclas