db-jdo-dev mailing list archives

From Niclas Hedhman <nic...@hedhman.org>
Subject Re: Direction of this project...
Date Fri, 11 Feb 2005 17:30:53 GMT
On Saturday 12 February 2005 01:11, David Ezzio wrote:
> Hi Niclas,
>
> Right now, the major issue for JDO is getting the Executive Committee to
>   approve the public draft.  Once that happens, we may see a little more
> life around here.  If it doesn't happen, well, we may also see a little
> more life around here. :)

Sounds like there is a chicken and egg problem here; Executive Committee will
require a RI to be available before the Specification is ratified?
Then where does the ASF community fit in to the picture?
Is the ASF community part of the specification process, or is that a JCP
invitation only?

JDO going OSS == great... but please keep the community informed and listen in
on feedback. Otherwise JDO has no future at ASF, which I find sadening.

> BTW, we're in incubation, but I don't see any indicators in the Apache
> Incubation page.  Do you know if there a reason for that?

One of the reason is that this community is not taking charge of its own
destiny. You kick the people with the Karma to make the change, and it will
happen. Exactly who these are, is a bit hard to tell. More than 50 people
belong to the incubator group, but things are now in subversion, and I am not
sure how the karma is computed in such case.
But Craig McClanahan seems to have the power...

Cheers
Niclas