db-jdo-dev mailing list archives

From Geir Magnusson Jr <g...@4quarters.com>
Subject Re: Direction of this project...
Date Sat, 12 Feb 2005 18:00:56 GMT

On Feb 12, 2005, at 9:35 AM, Niclas Hedhman wrote:

> On Saturday 12 February 2005 22:22, Niclas Hedhman wrote:
>> On Saturday 12 February 2005 21:53, Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:
>>> JDO1 ...
>>> JDO2 ...
>>
>> This has not been well communicated, and then I am sorry for making
>> the
>> noise.
>
> Let me pre-empt your possibly aggrevated response. The initial
> proposal to the
> incubator does mention this.

No aggravation - I'm just trying to keep this thread from getting out
of hand :)

> However, I can't find whether Noel's last question in the initiating
> thread
> was ever answered;
> <quote src="Noel J. Bergman">
> Will the ASF have a certified JDO 2 implementation?
> </quote>

This is an interesting question, and I think that indeed we will.
However, that's going to be based on what the JCP produces as the JDO2
spec - we'd be just an implementation.  There's lots of interest here
at the ASF in several places - for example in Geronimo, as there's lots
of people there with interest and experience related to persistence.

However, I think that just getting the Sun JDO1 code 'over the hump' is
our focus, although as I said, given the fact that the Sun people are
JDO people (hence involved in the JDO2 huggermuggery), and I as Apache
JCP EC rep am also knee deep in it....

geir

geir@gluecode.com