db-general mailing list archives

From John McNally <jmcna...@collab.net>
Subject Re: Can dbcp be used in Hibernate 3.3?
Date Mon, 09 Feb 2009 17:25:07 GMT
johnrock wrote:

> Thomas Fischer-11 wrote:
>
>> I am no hibernate expert, but it seems to me that Hibernate can use
>> anything that implements the DataSource interface. So I'd be very
>> astonished if it could not use dbcp. However, there might be some
>> configuration issues.
>> And as dbcp is used successfully in many production environments, it seems
>> like a good choice to me :-)
>>
>> You might also ask at the hibernate mailing lists, they have more
>> knowledge
>> about hibernate internals than we do.
>>
>>           Thomas
>>

> Thanks, I have posted to a hibernate forum as well.  It is just amazing to
> me that there seems to be a black hole on this question :-0

I have a dim recollection of a short thread sometime around when
Hibernate became more tight with JBoss that there was an effort to make
hibernate less friendly to use with dbcp.   The public reasoning was
that development on dbcp was slow and that the documentation was sorely
lacking.  Maybe these were good faith criticisms, but I was a little
skeptical given that they were talking up replacements some of which
weren't at a 1.0 release yet and whose documentation fairly described
would have to be said to be worse than dbcp.  But that was all many,
many moons ago and I haven't followed the developments since.

I also think you should be able to use dbcp with hibernate. But don't be
surprised if your question is ignored or you get responses like:  Why
use dbcp?  Use X, it is extremely superior.

John McNally