db-general mailing list archives

From Kristian Waagan <Kristian.Waa...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: Broken links on DB project source page
Date Tue, 03 Jun 2008 11:29:03 GMT
Bryan Pendleton wrote:
>> When looking into a code convention issue, I discovered that there are
>> three broken links on the DB project source page at
>> http://db.apache.org/source.html:
>>
>> 1) http://db.apache.org/turbine/branches.html ("Turbine")
>> 2) http://db.apache.org/faqs.html ("FAQ page")
>> 3) http://db.apache.org/jars.html ("Sun JARs", "JAR")
>>
>> Does anyone know what should be done about these links?
>> Should they be removed or fixed?
>
> Hi Kristian, thanks for looking at this.
>
> I think it would be reasonable to:
>
> 1) Remove the sentence "See the FAQ page  for links to
> subproject conventions." since that page does not exist.
>
> 2) Change the sentence "Any JAR committed to the Project's
> repositories must be licensed for redistribution. BSD and MPL
> style licenses are generally fine, but many Sun JARs  do
> not permit redistribution." so that it doesn't use hyperlinks,
> but just uses the words "JAR" and "Sun JARs" normally. I think
> the sentence is sensible on its own and doesn't need the
> hyperlinks.
>
> 3) Change the sentence "For example, Turbine has page on
> the site that details the branches currently in use." to
> replace "Turbine has page" with "Derby has a page", and to
> change the hyperlink to point to
> http://db.apache.org/derby/derby_downloads.html since that
> page seems to be a good example of a page which details
> the branches currently in use.

Hello Bryan,

Thank you for the suggestions.
I have made a patch based on what you wrote (see attached diff and
html). I also noticed there is a missing quote around the link to the
code convention document. Instead of adding one on the other side, maybe
the existing quote could be removed?

Do the other changes look acceptable?
What does it take before I, or someone else, can commit the changes?

FYI, the page being changed is accessible from db.apache.org/index.html
("DB Apache Project"), selecting "DB Project Guidelines" under "More
information" and finally "Source Repositories" (*not* from the left side
meny).

--
Kristian